Contact us 0300 303 3989
Alcohol & drug support

Alcohol & drug support

Mixing alcohol or drugs with sex is not a good idea. Alcohol or drugs can lower your natural inhibitions and reduce your ability to think rationally, leading to poor choices about participating in sex or using contraception.

Sexual side effects

Sexual side effects

Drinking alcohol to excess can  also make having good sex difficult because alcohol reduces both men’s and women’s sexual sensitivity and in both sexes, sexual response is reduced by regular and prolonged drinking.

For men, alcohol can cause difficulties getting and maintaining an erection – while women may experience reduced lubrication, find it harder to have an orgasm, or have orgasms that are less intense.

As well as reducing your sex drive, drinking too much over an extended period of time can result in impotence (inability in a man to achieve an erection or orgasm) and reduced fertility if you’re planning to have children. Women who drink over the national guidelines of 14 units a week can take longer to become pregnant and can suffer from menstrual and fertility problems. The low risk guideline is the same for men and women.

Where to get help

Where to get help

The NHS offers alcohol advice and support, including tips on how to reduce your alcohol intake and getting help with a drug problem.

Talking to someone can help with an addiction issue. If you would like to speak to a counsellor, The Counselling Directory lists professionals who provide talking therapy services in Devon.

Other support can be found from:

In the Torbay area you can get support from the Torbay Drug and Alcohol Service. Including;

  • Drug and alcohol assessments for adults (18+) – this includes the full range of prescribed, legal, illegal and over the counter medication.
  • A named recovery Coordinator.
  • A named peer support volunteer.
  • Structured psychosocial interventions on a 1:1 and group work basis.
  • Group-work to support you at every stage.
  • Healthcare assessments.
  • Volunteering opportunities.
  • Blood Borne Virus Testing (Hep B/C and HIV) and Hep B immunisation.
  • Access to a Specialist Health Visitor to support families.
  • Assessment and referral to community based residential rehabilitation programmes.
  • Assessment for prescribing interventions including stabilisation, detoxification and reduction programmes.
  • Signposting and advice.
  • We can supply Naloxone, an antidote used to reverse the effects of a heroin overdose, and provide training on how to use it.
  • If you support someone with a substance misuse issue there is support for your needs. A Carer Support Worker is based at Shrublands and runs regular peer support groups.

Did you find this page useful?