Devon Sexual Health clinics provide free, non-judgemental sexual health services to both female and male sex workers.
We appreciate that you may wish to be anonymous and not identifiable in the waiting room in your local area, therefore we do not offer specific clinics or sessions for sex workers at this time.
What do we need to know when you attend?
We might ask specific questions about the type of work you do or the number of clients you have. This will help us assess what tests need to be done and to make sure they are done at the right time. We can then able to provide specific information and advice.
Our services are confidential and information is not routinely shared with other services such as GPs or other NHS clinics. You can read our confidentiality policy here.
The more you feel able to share with us during your appointment, the better we can help you to keep healthy and safe.
What can we offer you?
- All methods of Contraception
- Free emergency contraception
- PEP emergency anti-HIV medication if you think you may have been exposed to HIV in the past 72 hours
- Regular check-ups for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). This can include swabs from all sites (e.g. throat and rectal swabs), as well as testing for HIV and syphilis.
- Vaccinations against hepatitis B and A (if appropriate)
- Information about PrEP medication
- Advice on safer sex and info about STI’s and how to prevent them
- Treatment for STI’s
- Support re sexual assault and referral to the local SARC services
- A regular text reminder when a check-up is due
- Referral to our support worker who can offer other info and advice
How often should I get tested?
Testing is recommended at least every three months.
If you need a routine check-up, we would recommend you book an appointment, as our sit and wait clinics can be very busy and require long waits to be seen.
If you develop symptoms or a client informs you they might have an infection please come in to see us for a review as soon as you can.
The Resilient Women Centre, CoLab Exeter, are running a Drop-in Clinic called the VENUS Project for women who are, or are considering, sex working.
This is held at The Clocktower Surgery, CoLab, EX4 6PD, Mondays 1pm – 2pm.
You can access a female Nurse or GP in a women only space to discuss your physical, mental and sexual health including testing, treatment and contraception.
You also have access to a specialist support worker to discuss additional issues around finances, social inclusion and support, safety, housing & homelessness.
This service is available to any woman and this is a confidential service. You do not need to be registered with the surgery to attend. A temporary registration form will need to be completed on arrival. We are COVID Secure.
VENUS Project: 01392 284270 / email@example.com